Amazon is the largest online retailer in the world generating $280.5 billion in revenue in 2019. In 2018, the ecommerce company’s net revenue was $232.9 billion, up from $177.9 billion in 2017. Around 50% of all sales on Amazon marketplaces come from third-party sellers.
Since January 1 2017, 3.3 million new sellers have joined Amazon marketplaces worldwide — that’s the equivalent of 3,718 new sellers every day! The US, UK and India make up more than half of all new sellers. A breakdown of new sellers shows over a million joined the US marketplace, followed by India with 400,000 new sellers and the UK with around 300,000 new sellers.
After launching in Singapore, Amazon now operates 16 marketplaces worldwide — US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, India, Japan, Australia, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, UAE, and Singapore.
The majority of the biggest sellers joined Amazon years ago and despite increasing competition and the rapid adoption of private label are still at the top.
Let’s take a look at some interesting Amazon statistics provided by our friends at Marketplace Pulse.
Amazon marketplace stats
- Amazon currently has 12 marketplaces: USA, UK, Germany, France, Canada, Japan, India, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, and China. Amazon Australia and Singapore are launching soon.
- Amazon marketplace sellers, product sales totalled $118.57 billion, up 25.2% from $94.67 billion in 2016.
- There are over 5 million marketplace sellers across all Amazon marketplaces.
- 1,761,784 sellers have products listed for sale.
- A growing number of sellers on Amazon marketplace are based in China or Hong Kong.
- China’s share of the Amazon marketplace is around 25%.
- 66% of the top 10,000 sellers use FBA (how FBA works)
- Fulfilment by Amazon shipped billions of items worldwide.
- Amazon Lending surpassed $3 billion lent to small businesses on Amazon since the program started in 2011.
- There are over 100 million Prime members who spend over $126 billion per year/
Amazon US stats
- More than 300,000 third-party sellers started selling on Amazon in 2017.
- More than 140,000 third-party sellers surpassed $100,000 in annual sales.
- Amazon Handmade expanded, offering customers more than one million handcrafted items across all 50 US states and more than 60 countries.
- During the Holiday Season, customers ordered more than 1 billion items from third-party sellers on Amazon, with more than 140 million items ordered between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday.
- 28% of US consumers used Amazon to research their most recent product.
New Amazon sellers
- 1,029,528 new sellers have joined Amazon this year.
- That’s the equivalent of 2,975 new sellers every day.
- So far this year, 400,703 new sellers have joined Amazon.com.
- 112,623 new sellers have joined Amazon.in.
- 80,046 new sellers have joined Amazon.co.uk.
- 18% of the top sellers on Amazon.com have their main category as Electronics.
- 15% of the top sellers are Clothing, Shoes & Jewellery.
- 13% of the top sellers are Home & Kitchen.
- 11%of the top sellers are Health & Household.
Amazon seller feedback
- So far, this year, a mammoth 113,098,076 seller feedback reviews have been left on Amazon.
- Of these, around 4% of the seller feedback left was negative.
- An average of 9,644,400 seller feedback reviews are left each month on all Amazon marketplaces.
- An average of 3,967,394 seller feedback reviews each month on Amazon.com.
- An average of 1,977,043 seller feedback reviews each month on Amazon.co.uk.
- An average of 1,260,433 seller feedback reviews on Amazon.de.